Remuneration: Negotiable based on experience
Holidays – 25 days, plus bank holidays. Plus, your birthday off 🎉
Work Perks – Private healthcare, wellness programme, rewards and discounts + more
Hours of Work: 9-5pm Monday to Friday (37.5 hours per week)
Location: Homeworking position, based in the UK
Contract Type: Full Time
Start Date: Immediate
Today Digital: The Story So Far
Committed to changing the way people find, consume, and share information about business technology, Today Digital has been innovating since day one. We’re now in our fifth year of trading, and our growth levels are accelerating at an incredible rate.
There are many things that make our business different, but one of our main differentiators is our digital anatomy. We were born in the virtual world, and we continue to operate in the same flexible environment today.
Our customers are exciting and innovative tech brands that value what we do. They span the globe from London to Silicon Valley and beyond.
Our Values Define Us
We’ve developed a sensational team of dedicated individuals; all committed to helping the business thrive.
At Today Digital, we’re not about watching the clock or measuring workdays. Our focus is on results. Our employees work hard, but they maintain the freedom to work when, how, and wherever they choose.
We’re big on developing ideas, creating new plans, and setting goals that help us to move towards a brighter future.
We’re a fun crowd of people, we’re driven and we self-start.
Your Days with Today Digital
Work perks include private healthcare, a full wellness programme, rewards, work from home equipment allowance, and a selection of in-person social events.
We might be virtual, but we’re not distant. We embrace the latest technology and work styles, which means that we can collaborate constantly and effectively.
Today Digital is fast-paced and we’re going places. If you’re looking to advance your career, work from anywhere and learn from other talented and motivated people, then we might be a perfect match.
Recommended Read 👀 – How to Land a Job at Today Digital (PDF)
The Managing Editor at Today Digital takes a leading role in managing the editorial team.
A key part of the role is to ensure the editorial team achieves the expected editorial standards and adheres to the company’s brand and content style guidelines.
He/she is responsible for helping the company achieve the highest possible standards in the following areas:
- Team leadership and management
- Performance monitoring
- Editorial standards and governance
- Strategic content management
- Content optimisation
- User experience
As the Managing Editor at Today Digital, general duties and responsibilities include:
Team leadership and management
- Identifying trends within the market and reacting to market conditions in a timely and appropriate way
- Liaising with the senior management team and wider business to develop and execute the long-term publishing strategy for the titles
- Coaching and collaborating with team members to meet our editorial goals
- Assist in the management of staffers, freelancers and external agencies to ensure smooth and happy day-to-day operations
- Creation of monthly management information, illustrating KPIs across all publications and channels, outlining notable changes and recommendations to help improve overall performance
- Assist in the management of the editorial budget and invoice approvals.
- Manage and improve (where necessary) internal processes to help improve efficiencies and increase staff productivity
Editorial standards and governance
- Take ownership of quality assurance and monitor all content going out daily to ensure the highest possible standards
Strategic content management
- Planning the strategic content schedule and allocation for Today Digital titles
- Monthly Strategic Content Plan for each publication
- Strategic Blog List – aligned with SEO and business goals
- Smart Guide Management and optimisation
- Events (manages online listings and event coverage with the wider team)
- Assigning strategic work to our team of writers and dealing with day-to-day flow of work
- Responsible for SEO best practices across the organization
- Monitors performance and seeks opportunities to help improve overall traffic and conversions in-line with business goals
- Ensuring cornerstone content and other popular content on our site is as optimised as possible (Visuals, SEO, UX, CTA). Ensuring the content meets its purpose.
- Monitors the websites and all associated digital channels to ensure a frictionless UX and provides guidance and recommendations to help improve the visitor experience. Arranges/ collaborates/ makes improvements where necessary
- Reports faults, bugs
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Able to work remotely from home unsupervised
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent team collaboration skills
- Excellent task management and ability to delegate assigned tasks
- Position requires flexibility in working hours
- Minimum 7 years relevant industry experience
- Knowledge of, and ability to meet, the needs of the reader
- Ideas, creativity and originality
- Leadership (decision-making, creativity, problem-solving, occasional HR matters)
- Writing skills, and ability to spot good writing and design
- Proactive in internal relationship-building
- Proactive in external relationship-building and ability to act as the publication’s spokesperson
- Numeracy and computer literacy – using Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Teams, SharePoint
- Awareness of relevant intellectual property law – in particular, passing-off, trademark infringement and copyright infringement
- Awareness of other regulations relevant to publishing – in particular, libel, GDPR
Part of the role is to supervise the writing team (journalists, bloggers and copywriters). Responsibilities include:
- Assist with recruiting, hiring and onboarding journalists
- Assigning and directing work
- Appraising performance, rewarding, counselling and disciplining as required
- Addressing complaints and resolving problems
Education and/or Experience
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in journalism, media, communications, marketing or related field
- Preferred: Previous experience in news publishing and content marketing
- Strong communication skills
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Ability to write, read, analyse and interpret reports
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, team members and customers
Other Skills and Abilities
- Office 365 e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Teams
- Content aggregation programs such as Feedly, Google News
- Social Media channel management
- Image editing software e.g Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or similar
This is a home working role that requires you to provide some of your own equipment;
- Broadband Internet (minimum 10 Mbps download / 2 Mbps Upload)
- Office desk and chair
- A suitable place to work that is noise and distraction-free, warm and comfortable, and has a reliable electricity supply.
Company supplied equipment includes: PC/Mac Computer, web camera, headset/speaker. All necessary software applications and licences.